How does my body absorb dermal fillers?

| June 5, 2014

A common question at SAI

Restylane, our choice of dermal filler at SAI,  is perfectly safe, natural and carries very little risks but undergoing a dermal filler treatment can nonetheless be a little daunting. Some of our patients are worried about the pain, some fear side effects while others wonder what happens to the product once it’s been injected in the face. Is this also something you’ve wondered about? Read on to find out!

First of all, what is Restylane made of?

Restylane is a soft injectable gel made up of stabilized, non-animal hyaluronic acid.

This means that its key component is carefully cross-linked hyaluronic acid. This water loving polysaccharide (sugar) is a natural part of your skin.
This means hyaluronic acid already exists in the human body and the hyaluronic acid in Restylane is biodegradable and fully biocompatible with human hyaluronic acid.

Restylane is long-lasting but not permanent.When injected into the skin, the clear hyaluronic acid gel absorbs water, increasing the volume and the fullness of the skin in the area to rapidly smooth out the undesired wrinkle or fold. But as time goes by it is gradually absorved into the body, as would natural occuring hyaluronic acid in the skin.

So what happens a few months after the treatment?

Over time, your body will simply break down the hyaluronic acid molecules and eliminate them just as it does our own hyaluronic acid.A key difference between Restylane and other dermal fillers lies in the size and shape of the hyaluronic gel particles and the way they are cross-linked.  (Have you read our article on the importance of dermal fillers’ particle size?).

Did you know?! Restylane has the highest concentration of hyaluronic acid available in a dermal filler.

Category: Articles

Comments are closed.

Pin It on Pinterest